The Impact of Mergers and Acquisitions on Shareholders' Value : An Empirical Analysis of Select Indian Companies
Mergers, Acquisitions, Acquirers, Targets, Combined Entity, Shareholder Value, Abnormal Returns, Event Study
G14, G30, G32, G34
Paper Submission Date : August 8, 2016 ; Paper sent back for Revision : April 17, 2017 ; Paper Acceptance Date : August 17, 2017.
- Affleck - Graves, J. F., Flack, T. P., & Jacobson, A. J. (1988). The effect of merger announcement on share prices of the acquired and acquiring companies. South African Journal of Business Management, 19 (4), 147 -154.
- Alexandridis, G., Petmezas, D., & Travlos, N. G. (2010). Gains from mergers and acquisitions around the world : New evidence. Financial Management Journal, 39 (4), 1671 - 1695.
- Anand, M., & Singh, J. (2008). Impact of merger announcements on shareholders’ wealth: Evidence from Indian private sector banks. Vikalpa : Journal for Decision Makers, 33 (1), 35 - 54.
- Andrade, G., Mitchell, M., & Stafford, E. (2001). New evidence and perspectives on mergers. Journal of Economic Perspectives, 15 (2), 103 - 120.
- Barai, P., & Mohanty, P. (2010). Short term performance of Indian acquirers - Effects of mode of payment, industry relatedness and status of target. DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.2139/ssrn.1697564
- Beena, P.L. (2004). Towards understanding the merger wave in the Indian corporate sector - A comparative perspective (Working Paper, 355). Trivandrum : Centre for Development Studies.
- Brown, S.J., &Warner, J.B. (1985). Using daily stock returns : The case of event studies. Journal of Financial Economics, 14 (1), 3 - 31.
- Bruner, R. F. (2002). Does M&A pay? A survey of evidence for the decision - maker. Journal of Applied Finance, 12 (1), 48 - 68.
- Chakraborty, M. (2010). The wealth effects of takeover announcement for firms in the financial service sector in India. Journal of Emerging Market Finance, 9 (2), 199 -227.
- CMIE Prowess. (2014). Database. Center for Monitoring Indian Economy Pvt. Ltd. Retrieved from https://www.cmie.com/
- Dennis, D. K., & McConnell, J. J. (1986). Corporate mergers and security returns. Journal of Financial Economics, 16 (2), 143 - 187.
- Dixit, B. K. (2011). Do Indian acquirers create shareholder value? The effect of affiliation to a family business. Retrieved from http://www.academia.edu/1867111/Do_Indian_Acquirers_Create_Shareholder_Value_The_Effect_of_Affiliation_to_a_Family_Business_Group
- Fuller, K., Netter, J., & Stegemoller, M. (2002). What do returns to acquiring firms tell us? Evidence from firms that make many acquisitions. The Journal of Finance, 57 (4), 1763 - 1793. DOI: 10.1111/1540-6261.00477
- Gopalaswamy, A. K., Acharya, D., & Malik, J. (2008). Stock price reaction to merger announcements : An empirical note on Indian markets. Investment Management and Financial Innovations, 5 (1), 95 - 103.
- Gubbi, S. R., Aulakh, P. S., Ray, S., Sarkar, M. B., & Chittoor, R. (2010). Do International acquisitions by emerging - economy firms create shareholder value? The case of Indian firms. Journal of International Business Studies, 41 (3), 397 - 418.
- Gupta, A. (2008). Market response to merger announcements. The ICFAI Journal of Applied Finance, 14 (8), 5 - 18.
- Hitt, M. A., Ireland, R. D., & Harrison, J. S. (2005). Mergers and acquisitions: A value creating or value destroying strategy?, in M. A. Hitt, R. E. Freeman, & J. S. Harrison (eds.), The Blackwell handbook of strategic management (pp. 384 - 408). New York: Blackwell.
- Houston, J. F., & Ryngaert, M. D. (1994). The overall gains from large bank mergers. Journal of Banking and Finance, 18 (6), 1155 - 1176.
- Jensen, M.C., & Ruback, R.S. (1983). The market for corporate control : The scientific evidence. Journal of Financial Economics, 11(1 - 4), 5 - 50. DOI : http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/0304-405X(83)90004-1
- Jucunda, M. M. E., & Sophia, S. (2014). Do acquisitions add value to acquirers in India? A study on the sensitivity of the stock market and acquirer returns. Indian Journal of Finance, 8 (5), 5-18. DOI: 10.17010/ijf/2014/v8i5/71914
- Kale, P., & Singh, H. (2005). Acquisitions and alliances: Indian companies and value creation. TMTC Journal of Management, 3 (January), 13 - 18.
- Karels, G. V., Lawrence, E., & Yu, J. (2011). Cross-border mergers and acquisitions between industrialized and developing countries : US and Indian merger activity. International Journal of Banking and Finance, 8 (1), 35 - 58.
- Kohli, R., & Mann, B. J. S. (2012). Analyzing determinants of value creation in domestic and cross-border acquisitions in India. International Business Review, 21(6), 998 - 1016. doi:10.1016/j.ibusrev.2011.11.006
- Kumar, R. (2004). Effect of RPL-RIL merger on shareholder’s wealth and corporate performance. The ICFAI Journal of Applied Finance, 10 (9), 15 - 35.
- Mallikarjunappa, T., & Nayak, P. (2013). A study of wealth effects of takeover announcements in India on target company shareholders. Vikalpa, 38 (3), 23 - 49.
- Manasakis, C. (2009). Shareholder wealth effects from mergers and acquisitions in the Greek banking industry. International Journal of Banking, Accounting and Finance, 1 (3), 242 - 256.
- Mann, B. S., & Kohli, R. (2008). An empirical analysis of bank mergers in India : A study of market driven versus non-market driven mergers. Decision, 35 (1), 47 - 73.
- Mann, B. S., & Kohli, R. (2009). Impact of mode of payment and insider ownership on target and acquirer’s announcement returns in India. Vikalpa, 34 (4), 51- 66.
- Mishra, A. K., & Goel, R. (2005). Returns to shareholders from mergers: The case of RIL and RPL merger. IIMB Management Review, 17 (3), 69 - 79.
- Mushidzhi, T. B., & Ward, M.D. (2004). Abnormal returns for cash vs. share funded acquisitions. Investment Analysts Journal, 33 (60), 17 - 31.
- Pandey, A. (2001). Takeover announcements, open offers and shareholders’ returns in target firms. Vikalpa, 26 (3), 19 -30.
- Rachappa, S., & Satyanarayanana, S. V. (2007). Mergers and market gains: A study of select companies. In B. Das & A. K. Padmanik (eds.), Merger and acquisition, Indian scenario (pp. 156 - 162). New Delhi : Kanishka Publishers.
- Raghuvanshi, A., & Raghuvanshi, A. (2014). Determinants of shareholder gains in acquisitions: An empirical study in the Indian corporate sector. Indian Journal of Finance, 8 (2), 37- 48. DOI: 10.17010/ijf/2014/v8i2/71979
- Ramakrishna, K. (2010). Redistribution of wealth on merger announcements in India. Management Research Review, 33(8), 798 - 810.
- Rani, N., Surendra, Y. S., & Jain, P. K. (2012). Impact of mergers and acquisitions on returns to shareholders of acquiring firms: Indian economy in perspective. Journal of Financial Management & Analysis, 25(1), 1 - 26.
- Rani, N., Surendra, Y. S., & Jain, P. K. (2013). Market response to the announcement of mergers and acquisitions: An empirical study from India. Vision, 17 (1), 1-16.
- Schweiger, D. M., & Very, P. (2003). Creating value through merger and acquisition integration. Advances in mergers and acquisitions (Vol. 2, pp. 1-26). Emerald Group Publishing Limited.
- Verma, B. P., Maji, P., & Nair, S. (2013). Mergers & acquisitions and their impact on corporate values : Pre and post-merger analysis of Indian banks. Indian Journal of Finance,7 (2), 5 - 16.
- Zhu, P.C., & Malhotra, S. (2008). Announcement effect and price pressure: An empirical study of cross-border acquisitions by Indian firms. International Research Journal of Finance and Economics, 13, 24 - 41.
- There are currently no refbacks.