Total views : 4511
Subscription or Fee Access
Factors Affecting Capital Budgeting Decisions: A Structural Equation Modeling Study
The purpose of this paper is to validate the impact of various factors which influence the capital budgeting decisions taken by firms. Capital budgeting decisions use the structural equation modeling approach after undergoing factor analysis, which results in a better developed model after various rotations with different variables for arriving at the best fit structural model. This paper is based on primary data. Using a sample size of 75 companies, and by categorizing the variables into four factors - Size, Risk, Social Cost Benefit Analysis (SCBA) and Trait, a regression analysis was conducted, which found that the first three factors (Size, Risk and SCBA) are significant and influence the decision of acceptance of the Type of Capital Budgeting Technique (TCBT) used by the companies.
Capital Budgeting, Trait, Size, Risk, Social Cost Benefit Analysis, DCF Techniques.
(PDF views: 18)
- Adler, R.W. (2006). “Why DCF Capital Budgeting Is Bad For Business And Why Business Schools Should Stop Teaching It.” Accounting Education: An International Journal, Vol.15, Issue 1, pp.3-10.
- Anand, M. (2002). “Corporate Finance Practices in India; A Survey.” Vikalpa : A Journal For Decision Makers, Vol.27, No.4, pp.29-56.
- Andrews, G.S and Butler, F. (1986) “Criteria For Major Investment Decisions.” The Investment Analysts Journal, Vol. 27, Issue 1, pp. 31-37.
- Apap, Antonio and Masson, D.J. (2004-05) . “A Survey of Capital Budgeting In Publicly Traded Utility Companies.” Southwest Business and Economics Journal, Vol.13, Issue 1, pp. 45-52.
- Block, S. (1997). “Capital Budgeting Techniques Used by Small Business Firms In The 1990s.” Engineering Economist, Vol.42, Issue 4, pp. 289-297.
- Block, S. (2005) . “Are There Difference In Capital Budgeting Procedures Between Industries? An Empirical Study.” The Engineering Economist, Vol.50, Issue 1, pp. 55-67.
- Brigham, E.F, and Pettway, R. H. (1973). “Capital Budgeting By Utilities.” Financial Management, Vol. 2, No.3, pp.11- 22.
- Burns, R.M. and Walker, J. (1997). “Capital Budgeting Techniques Among The Fortune 500: A Rationale Approach.” Managerial Finance, Vol.23, No.9, pp.3-15.
- Chandra, P. (2004). “Financial Management Theory and Practice.” Tata McGraw Hill, New Delhi, pp. 289-350.
- Chen, Shimin (2008). “DCF Techniques And Nonc- Financial Measure In Capital Budgeting: A Contingency Approach Analysis.” Behavioral Research In Accounting, Vol. 20, No.1, pp. 13-29.
- Cooper, W.D. et al. (2002) . “Capital Budgeting Models: Theory Vs. Practice.” Business Forum, Vol. 26, Issue 1 & 2, pp. 15-18.
- Danielson, M.G. and Scott, J.A. (2006). “The Capital Budgeting Decisions of Small Businesses.” Journal of Applied Finance, Volume 16, Issue 2, pp. 45-56.
- Dheeriya, P.L. (2008). “Investment Decision Making In An Entrepreneurial Firm.” Journal of American Academy of Business, Vol.12, Issue 2, pp. 22-25.
- Drury, C. and Tayles, M. (1996). “UK Capital Budgeting Practices: Some Additional Survey Evidence. ” The European Journal of Finance, Vol. 2, Issue 4, pp.371-388.
- Gitman, L.J. and Forrester Jr., J.R. (1977). “A Survey of Capital Budgeting Techniques Used by Major U.S Firms.” Financial Management, Vol.6, Issue 3, pp.66-71.
- Graham, J. R. and Harvey, C. R. (2001). “The Theory and Practice of Corporate Finance: Evidence From The Field.” Journal of Financial Economics, Vol. 60, No 2&3, pp.187-243.
- Graham, J. R. and Harvey, C. R. (2001). “How Do CFOs Make Capital Budgeting And Capital Structure Decisions.” Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Vol. 15, No.1, pp. 8-23.
- Gupta, S. et al. (2007). “Capital Budgeting Practices In Punjab-based Companies.” The ICFAI Journal of Applied Finance, Vol.13, No. 2, pp. 57-70.
- Haka, Gordon and Pinches (1985). “Sophisticated Capital Budgeting Selection Techniques And Firm Performance.” The Accounting Review, Vol. LX, No.4, pp. 651-669.
- Jothi K. (2010). “Significant Level Of Financial Risk On Capital Structure.” Indian Journal of Finance, Vol. 4, No.8, pp. 48-55.
- Klammer, T. (1972). “Empirical Evidence of The Adoption of Sophisticated Capital Budgeting Techniques.” Journal of Business, Vol.45, Issue 3, pp. 387-397.
- Lazaridis, L.T. (2004). “Capital Budgeting Practices: A Survey In The Firms In Cyprus.” Journal of Small Business Management, Vol. 42, No.4, pp.427-433.
- McInish, T.H. and Kudla, R.J. (1981). “A New Approach To Capital Budgeting In Closely-Held Firms and Small Firms.” American Journal of Small Business, Vol. V, No.4, pp.30-35.
- Oblak, D.J, Helm Jr, R.J. (1980). “Survey And Analysis of Capital Budgeting Methods Used by Multinationals.” Financial Management, Vol. 9, No.4, pp. 37-40.
- Palliam, Ralph. (2005). “Estimating the Cost of Capital: Considerations For Small Business.” The Journal of Risk Finance, Vol.6, No.4, pp. 335-340.
- Pinches, G.E, Lander, D.M, (1997). “The Use of NPV In Newly Industrialized and Developing Countries: A.K.A : What Have We Ignored?” Managerial Finance, Vol. 23, Issue 9, pp.24-45.
- Ryan and Ryan (2002) . “Capital Budgeting Practices of Fortune 1000: How Have Things Changed?” Journal of Business and Management, Vol. 8, No.4, pp. 355-364.
- Sarapaivanich, Naruanard. (2003). “The Use Of Financial Information In Financial Decisions Of SMEs In Thailand.” Paper presented at the 16th Annual conference of Small Enterprise Association of Australia and New Zealand; Australia, 28 Sep-1 October; 2003, pp. 1-19.
- Sealey, Jr. C.W. (1978). “Utility Maximization And Programming Models For Capital Budgeting.” Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Vol.5, No.3, pp. 355-365.
- Stulz, R.M. (1999). “What's Wrong With Modern Capital Budgeting.” Financial Practice and Education, Vol. 9, No. 2 , pp.7-11.
- Sunden, G. L. and Schall, L. D. (1980). “Capital Budgeting Methods And Risk: A Further Analysis.” Financial Management, Vol. 9, No. 1, pp.7-11.
- Thomas, H. and Bonald, J. (1981) . “A New Approach To Capital Budgeting In Closely-Held Firms and Small Firms.” American Journal of Small Business, Vol. 5, No.4, pp. 30-36.
- Wouters, M.J.F. (2006) . “Teaching Capital Budgeting As Multi Attribute Decision-Making. A Commentary On “Why DCF capital Budgeting is Bad for Business and Why Business Schools should stop Teaching It.” Accounting Education: An International Journal, Vol.15, No.1, pp.29-33.
- There are currently no refbacks.